Sunday, August 3, 2008

Fuck the Fair Weather - What Happened to Rainy Day Friends?

I understand the fact that life is moving on and people are engaged and have boyfriends, new jobs and school is hard for you.  I, too miss the days where we would all get drunk on a Sunday and do cartwheels in the snow.  I miss the butterflies and the what-if's when we would discuss our futures.  I'm sorry he treats you like crap and I'm even sorrier that you take it.  But I am finished feeling guilty for having a life beyond you.  And quite honestly, the needier you become, the more assuming and angry - the less I want to even try.

It's sad that this has to happen.  I still believe you have a good heart.  But I think the years of second guessing and being negative has buried your true self deep down.  I know he doesn't give you what you want.  You know it too.  But you're lulled back in by his weak words and when you blanket yourself with the comfort of being one half of an "us" you forget that you need friends.

So, though I'll always be here - in the event of a life altering situation or even if you want to borrow some milk - I really can't try anymore.  And when he doesn't respond to emails or calls or can't handle 7am therapy sessions anymore - of course I'll still listen.  But I realize you'll never be a rainy day friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, you just have to let someone live his/her life and sit and watch as they deal with the consequences. Friendships hit fork in roads too - unfortunately, not all friends are meant to weather the storm.

And, post script, I love the name of your blog.

Steph said...

Thanks - its named after a poem I wrote when I was in high school - ten years old!

ryn - it's sometimes easy to say I'll just sit by and watch - but then when it's happening - it's a whole different story. But that is exactly what I'm trying to do from now on.