Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Scary predictions and cucumber sandwiches

Four.  I have taken four pregnancy tests in the past week.  And my period isn't even late.

Why so obsessive? you ask?  

There are a couple of reasons.  The number 1 reason being that I've been unbearably nauseated every single day.  And in the seconds in between not being about to lose my cookies, I am ravenously hungry.  For weird things.  For the past 2 nights, I've made myself cucumber sandwiches with laughing cow cheese.  Weird, huh?

Also, I'm moody.  I've been reading "Marley and Me", the book about the crazy dog, and every other anecdote makes me cry.  

Not to mention the peeing.  I've been on like a running faucet of pee.

But each test has been (thankfully) negative.  I'll be the first to admit, when I get an obsession in my mind, a fear or a paranoia, I do not let up until it has proven itself to be impossible.

Another reason this has been on my brain is a rather silly, embarrassing one.  There is a woman I work with who swears she gets "feelings" and according to her, she is always on the mark with her "feelings".  She came up to me (unsolicited) to tell me she strongly feels I am going to be pregnant in the next 6 months.  And she reminds me of this every time I see her.  To the point where it's like "lady stop wishing your baby voodoo on me".

This alleged pregnancy, of course, is news to me.  I am on the pill.  I live in a studio apartment that barely houses me and my dog.  I have a shoe fetish.  I am not anywhere near ready to start sharing my space or my uterus.  But she swears it's coming.  

I take my pill religiously since she's said this.  If I could, I'd take 2 a day.  My mom had me while using the diaphragm (a disclosure she once made over a beer at Murphy's, my local bar - to which my dad jutted in "I have super sperm!" thanks guys, I'll forever have THAT image in my brain).  My aunt popped out 3 consecutive rugrats while on the pill.  What are the odds?

I'm sure my fears are unwarrented.  I wouldn't call them fears, really.  More like things I pray to God won't happen right now.  But I do have a very overactive imagination.  And besides, how well intuned is this psychic lady with my ovaries?  Shouldn't I be getting the strong feeling??  After all, I've housed the suckers for all these years.  Why aren't they sending me psychic visions? 

No comments: